Message from Acting Superintendent Rebecca Castaneda regarding Donna ISD's Virtual Learning Academy
We are incredibly proud of our students, teachers, administrators, and staff and how smoothly they have transitioned back to 100 % in-person instruction. They are wearing their masks, practicing social distancing when possible, washing their hands frequently, and self-screening for symptoms. I commend everyone for doing their part to keep each other safe while the district continues to navigate through the challenges of this pandemic.
While the majority of students learn best through face-to-face instruction with their teacher, it came to light over the past year and a half that some students excelled academically through remote instruction. With that in mind, legislation was passed that will pay for virtual learning programs in Texas public schools through the end of the 2023 school year. While this is good news, this piece of legislation comes with certain criteria. See below to see if your child qualifies to receive remote instruction.
Donna ISD Virtual Learning Academy
DISD will be offering a limited Virtual Learning Program for students from Kindergarten-6th grade (Under the new law, Pre-Kindergarten students are not eligible)
- Applications for this program will open Wednesday, Sept. 8th - Monday, Sept. 13th at 5 p.m.
- Applications will be reviewed Sept. 13th - 17th.
- Students who qualify will be notified by Sept. 21st.
- The first day of virtual learning is Monday, Sept. 27th.
Criteria for Admittance Includes:
- Students who do not qualify to receive the vaccine (Kindergarten-6th grade).
- Students attending virtually must have passed their STAAR/EOC exam from the preceding year.
- Students must have earned a “C” (70) grade or higher in each foundation curriculum course (based off of EIE Local Policy) in the preceding year.
- Students must have no more than 10% unexcused absences or no more than 10 or more days or parts of days within a six-month period.
- Students must have reasonable access to in-person services for the course at a district/school facility.
- Students must be currently enrolled at Donna ISD and attending school.
- Students will have to take mandated assessments in-person.
- Meets other additional criteria, including minimum academic standards, established by the district in which the student is enrolled.
- Parent commitment letter.
Participation Expectations & Acknowledgements:
- Students will have to take mandated assessments in person.
- Students must maintain a grade average of 70 or above in all core courses (Math, Science, Social Studies, and Reading).
- Students cannot have more than 3 unexcused absences.
- Students will be asked to return to in-person learning if the student is not making adequate progress or has a pattern of absences.
- Cameras must remain on throughout the entire period of instruction.
- Students must be engaged throughout the entire period of instruction.
- Parental involvement and commitment to support remote learning.
- Families must maintain reliable internet access.
- Review of student progress every six weeks.
- Virtual learning students will not be allowed to participate in extracurricular activities.